Welcome

Welcome to my writings or rants or whatever. Primarily these pages contain content of particular relevance to people in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

There are some links on the right which people in Saint Paul might find helpful.

If you feel inspired enough to publicly [although the particular public is not very big] comment on anything I have written, a place is provided. PLEASE GIVE ME A NAME OF YOUR CHOICE [as long as you don't use somebody else's] AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD [to help give identity and establish perspective]. I reserve the right to continue to delete as I see fair and proper.




Friday, June 12, 2009

IRV in Minneapolis. Are we next?

After a period of uncertainty while the judges were doing their thing, Instant Runoff Voting [IRV] has been cleared for use in the Minneapolis elections this year.

If you have read my earlier posts, you probably know that I am not ready to sign on the IRV bandwagon yet. But, even though we have learned that SO many of our fellow citizens have difficulty filling out a ballot the way we have them now, I am quite willing to let the city upriver give it a try. And I wonder how many people over there will need to learn how to cast a proper ballot all over again in next year’s general election.

Now it seems likely that we will be voting this year on whether we want IRV for ourselves.

But might it not be better to see how Mpls. gets through its first try with the system first?

Related links:

St. Cloud Times,

WCCO Television

[Mpls.] Star[-Journal and Tribune

Dispatch Pioneer Press



No comments: